Monday, March 8, 2010

Beach: Sand and Shell Frame


I want to share this with you guys BEFORE everyone goes on their beach trip this year. So tell me, pretty much everyone goes on some sort of beach trip in the summer, right? Ok, if not every summer, at some point in your life you will go to the beach!! Family trips, honeymoon, etc. Well, I have a neat inexpensive souvineor!

While at the beach this summer, all week long I collected shells. Pretty shells: different sizes, shapes, textures....ones with character. I also collected some sand from the beach. My idea....to use the sand and shells to create a frame for my mom for christmas. Upon arriving home, I went to Michael's (one of my 3 fav stores along with Joann's and Hobby Lobby). I bought one of the unfininshed square wooden frames for about $1.00. Other supplies I used were Mod Podge and craft paint. I painted one coat of blue paint on the frame. Then, I painted Mod Podge on top. While it was still wet, I sprinkled sand all over the frame. This created a great beach feel. I had also purchased a pre-painted beach umbrella for the side of the frame. After the mod podge and sand dried. I hot glued the umbrella cut out and all of my collected shells around the painted frame. And voilĂ ! See my masterpiece below! Of course, I couldn't just make one for my mom....I wanted one too!! The picture below is of mine. My mom's frame had a big group picture of the entire family. Now, you will have something to do with all those shells you collect at the beach ;-) Think Mother's Day or Christmas present.

Happy crafting!
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I am going to try when we come back from the beach in July!

    ReplyDelete